Losing a loved one is never easy, and it can be especially difficult if that person was a major source of income for your household. However, if your loved one was eligible for Social Security, you may be able to receive survivor benefits to help support you and your family. In this blog post, we’ll explain what Social Security survivors benefits are and how to apply for them.
What are Social Security Survivors Benefits?
Social Security survivors benefits are paid to the surviving spouse, children, or dependents of a deceased worker who was eligible for Social Security. These benefits can help provide financial support to those who have lost a loved one and may be struggling to make ends meet.
Who is Eligible for Social Security Survivors Benefits?
To be eligible for Social Security survivors benefits, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be the surviving spouse, child, or dependent of a deceased worker who was eligible for Social Security.
- You must have a Social Security number.
- You must meet certain age or disability requirements.
How Much Can You Receive in Social Security Survivors Benefits?
The amount of survivors benefits you can receive depends on a number of factors, including:
- Your relationship to the deceased worker
- Your age
- Your disability status
- Your income
The Social Security Administration has a formula for calculating survivors benefits, but the exact amount you’ll receive will depend on your individual circumstances. In general, survivors’ benefits can range from a few hundred dollars to over $2,000 per month.
How Do You Apply for Social Security Survivors Benefits?
To apply for Social Security survivors benefits, you’ll need to:
- Gather the necessary documents, such as your loved one’s death certificate, Social Security number, and tax returns.
- Complete the application for survivors benefits, which you can do online or by visiting your local Social Security office.
- Provide any additional information or documentation that the Social Security Administration requests.
It’s important to apply for survivors benefits as soon as possible after your loved one’s death, as the process can take several months to complete.
In conclusion, Losing a loved one is always difficult, but Social Security survivors benefits can help provide financial support during this challenging time. If you think you may be eligible for survivors benefits, it’s important to apply as soon as possible and gather all the necessary documentation to ensure a smooth and timely application process.
Reference link: https://blog.ssa.gov/social-security-survivors-benefits-explained/