Jonathan Buck is a senior counsel in the firm’s Austin office. Before joining this firm, Mr. Buck practiced at Haynes & Boone, LLP and Kelly Hart & Hallman, LLP in Austin, and he had the honor of clerking for Judge David Hittner in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, Houston Division. Texas Super Lawyers named Jonathan a business litigation “Rising Star” in 2006, 2010, and 2011. Jonathan focuses his practice on litigation and trial work involving business disputes, intellectual property, banking and collections, insurance coverage, toxic torts, and administrative law. He has established himself as a creative and efficient problem solver who skillfully negotiates favorable resolutions for his clients as well as a skilled trial attorney who effectively presents his clients’ positions in complex commercial disputes involving banks, creditors, oil and gas operators, real estate investors, energy businesses, technology companies, and employer-employee relations.
EDUCATION & HONORS
- The Colorado College (B.A., 1996)
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with honors, 2001
- Law Clerk to Hon. David Hittner, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by Texas Super Lawyers 2006, 2010 and 2011
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
ADMISSION & AFFILIATIONS
- Texas, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- Member, Board of Directors, Austin Bar Association Civil Litigation Section, 2011-2015
- Member, Board of Directors, Texas Advocacy Project, 2002-2007
- Member, Community Investment Review Team, United Way Capital Area, 2007
- Associate, Robert W. Calvert American Inns of Court, 2005-2006; 2008-2010
- Associate, Lloyd Lochridge American Inns of Court, 2010-2011
- Vice Chair, Law Focused Education Committee, Texas Young Lawyers Association, 2004-2005
- Vice Chair, VoTexas Committee, Austin Young Lawyers Association, 2004-2005
- Pro Bono Attorney, Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas & UT Law Domestic Violence Clinic
- Served on trial team that obtained a take nothing jury verdict on behalf of global oilfield services company in toxic tort case in which the plaintiffs sought more than one hundred million dollars.
- Successfully prosecuted numerous theft of trade secrets/breach of employment contract matters on behalf of a global insurance company.
- Served as general litigation counsel for Texas-based telecommunications company handling all types of business-related disputes and litigation.
- Served as trial and local counsel in a variety of patent and intellectual property disputes.
- Obtained and enforced numerous judgments as Texas counsel for national banks and creditors.
- Handled lien and bond claims and related litigation for owners, contractors, architects and engineers.
- Represented national real estate management company in coverage lawsuit against insurance carrier.